22 August, 2010

An Explosive Trip to the Moravian Book Shop!

So there we were, driving along on Route 78 West, a limited access highway with three lanes of traffic going in each direction, on our way to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. We were in the middle lane, moving along at about 70 MPH, overtaking a tri-axle truck. Just as we pulled up next to him, just as his rear wheels were right outside my side window (I was the passenger), his tire exploded!

I mean, REALLY exploded!

I’ve never seen or heard anything like it. Bluish-grey smoke burst out of the tire, black shrapnel showered our windshield and sprayed the side of our car, and the tread from his tire simply disintegrated right before my eyes. And the sound! OMG — even with the windows closed, the air conditioning on and the music playing, it was deafening. Scared the you-know-what out me.

No-one was hurt, thank goodness. We pulled off the road and onto the shoulder at the first safe place, and the truck driver pulled over immediately behind us. I got out and inspected my side of the car and, amazingly, there was no damage whatsoever. I called to the driver, “Are you alright?” and he smiled and waved.

Everyone was OK. And just like that, it was over. Of course, my heart didn’t stop trying to pound its way out of my chest for another 15 miles.

Way to get your blood flowing, that’s for sure!

Moravian’s, by the way, is a beautiful shop in a town so charming, you can’t help but feel as though you’ve just stepped into a Currier and Ives painting. My hosts were lovely people, and some old friends, Pennsylvania natives, whom I’d not seen in several years, were able to attend, so it was a nice afternoon, all around.
Copyright © 2010, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment